the orginal canal42°35.781'N 82°54.912'W
This is a portion of the orginal Clinton and Kalamazoo Canal which was started near this spot in Canal Park in 1838. The Clinton Township Historical Commission unearthed a lock at this site. The Canal was 50 ft wide and had to maintain a water level of at least 4 feet. Locks were similar to a ladder that lifted the canal boats up to a higher level.